Friday, November 20, 2015

Ugh... Temptation.

It comes in so many forms. It is different for each of us. Sure we may face being tempted by some similar things, but we all struggle in our own unique way.

When I started trying to live a more healthy, fit life, I struggled. (Heck, I still do. The desire of the flesh is a beast.) I struggled with the temptation to be lazy and just eat whatever was easiest to make (or buy). I struggled with overcoming excuses and making workouts a priority. I struggled with feeling like I was "missing out".

What I had to come to terms with was that even though it "felt" like the temptation was more than I could resist, that wasn't the truth. See the Bible says...

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

We all face temptation of one kind or another. When it comes to food, I think most of us have our weaknesses. ;) The good news is that not only does God not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear...

Wait... What?! Hold up! 


If we aren't tempted beyond what we can bear, why do we give in? The answer is simple, the weakness of our flesh. 

"Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Galatians 6:8-9

So how do we overcome the weakness of our flesh? We seek God. See, knowing that we would be tempted, and that we are weak in the flesh, He has also made a way out so that we can endure it!

Did you know??? Tempted, in Greek, also means tested. What is the purpose of a test? Sometimes it is to measure our "ability", others it is to see how we put into practice that which we have learned.

When temptation comes, take heart that it is not more than we can bear, we have a way out... Jesus and a helper... the Holy Spirit. When you feel like you are facing a temptation that you don't see a way to overcome, pray. Contend for your "way out". Ask the Holy Spirit for help. Don't give up. You aren't doing battle alone. <3

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." - Jeremiah 29:11-13


 

No comments:

Post a Comment