Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Defining Your Why

We spend a lot of time talking about "Why" and with good reason, it is the first step to our success.

As a child it is the most common inquiry we make. We want to know how things work, what causes things to happen, the reason for choices or actions. As humans we have a deep need to understand the world around us and our own purpose.

The same is true of any goal we set for ourselves. If we are to succeed at something, we must first know why we are doing it. Since this is my healthy living blog, we are going to run with weight loss as the example. There are different types of "why" answers. 

  • There is the surface answer. It is usually a superficial reason. Something like "I want to be skinny." or "I want to look cute in this outfit.".
  • There is the self image answer. This is usually the result of how world sees us, which in reality is only what we think they see based on what we believe about ourselves. This one sounds something like "My butt is too big." or "I want to look good in a swim suit.".
  • Then there is the deep root desire. This is often emotionally driven and based on a strong need. Sometimes the need comes from a source of hurt, others it comes from necessity. For example, "I just want to feel good about myself and like what I see when I look in the mirror." or "If I don't do this the Doctor says I could die.".
When we set a goal for ourselves whether it be career, fitness, savings, a vacation, we ultimately need to dig in and really look for the deep root "why" if we are going to stick with the plan and see the result. 

If I say I'm gonna start eating different and set aside time to workout because I want to look better than so-and-so, I will be highly likely to cheat, skip workouts and eventually just quit. The same is true of the self image reasoning. Yes, I will probably stay committed longer, but in the end I will get discouraged or sidetracked and the goal will slip away.

If I fully understand what is driving my desire to make huge changes, sacrifices and commitments to getting something done I am much more likely to stick with in the hardest moments, make better choices and see the thing through to completion. Does that mean there won't be missteps? No. Does it mean I won't have to fight to stay motivated or force myself to do something when all I want is to not do it? Nope. What it means is that I will have the understanding of that deep need to keep me going. 

The second part of this is to find trustworthy people who you can share your goal and your "why" with. You want someone who cares about your success. Someone you know will encourage you. Someone who isn't afraid to be your accountability partner. It is extremely motivating to know that you have people cheering you on and it is much more difficult to let others down than it is to let ourselves down.

So, set your goal. Define your "why". Write it down and revisit it every time you feel your commitment wavering. Find a friend or a whole group of people that will encourage you along the way. Keep your focus on the prize and fight for it with all that you've got!

The end result is worth it! The feeling of accomplishment will encourage you to set another goal to achieve. Most importantly...


YOU.ARE.WORTH.IT.!!!
You've got this! I've got your back. :) Message me or contact me on my Facebook page if you want me to be one of your support people. ^_^

Above all... Bless and be blessed! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment