Tuesday, November 8, 2016

I Voted...

In any of the previous elections, voting has given me hope for positive change in our future.

Not this year.

This year there isn't that familiar feeling of "honor" in having done my "civic duty". This year, voting felt like a scam. I felt robbed. There was no candidate that I truly "wanted" to elect. I have wrestled with the complete disappointment in the way the major party candidates conducted themselves during this campaign. Their behavior, their words... they were juvenile at best and utterly disgraceful. 


When we vote, we choose the person who we believe will lead our nation in a positive direction. To me, that means someone who will conduct themselves with the honor and dignity due the highest office in our nation. It is a privileged to assume the title of President of the United States. It is the responsibility to do what is best for this country and her people. It is the responsibility to treat the rest of the world with respect. When I look at the Republican and Democratic nominees, I don't see honor, dignity, respect, humility... Those traits aren't things that should be overlooked. We are guided by our principals, our moral code, and thus far, they have not exhibited principals that I feel confident will serve our nation, or the world, well.

When we vote, we are casting our lot on a leader who most closely aligns with our stance on the issues that matter the most to us, in faith that they will make wise decisions and lead our country in a positive direction. In the past, I have had some measure of that trust as I turned in my ballot. Today, I do not feel that way.

I have prayed and given a great deal of thought to voting this year. Not that I haven't done either of those in the past, but this election in particular has left me feeling a little lost, conflicted and honestly, disappointed, and as such I have found myself in need of more time spent in prayer and thought. The only conclusion that I have reached is that our God is so much BIGGER than all of this and no matter what the outcome is, He is in control, so I don't need to be afraid.

After the primary, I stopped praying for a "better candidate" and started praying for whomever is elected. I prayed that he/she will surround him/herself with people of upstanding character; people who have wisdom in governing and law; people that value freedom, respect our constitution and can give sound advice. I pray that he/she will humble him/herself to listen to council, to receive wisdom, and to act in the best interest of our nation and her people without disrespecting or minimizing the rest of the world. I will continue to pray for this for all of our elected leaders.


As I go about my day, having turned in my ballot, I will not be doing what I have done in previous years. In the past, there was the anticipation of seeing the results of this process culminate in the election of our next President. I looked forward to turning on the news and watching the results of so many people exercising their freedom, however limited, to voice who they believe should lead our nation. There was an inspiring energy that came from so many people looking to the future, hoping to see positive change, increased stability, peaceful resolution to conflict, and our people uniting to work toward a healthy future.  

This year, there is so much division and hatred. So much disrespect and dishonor. I don't want to see the media coverage today. Thus far, it has done nothing to foster healthy debate, encourage learning, or bring people together. It has, instead, inspired the worst in people. The continually degrading commentary has only served to encourage division, incite anger, promote mudslinging, self-superiority, judgement and embarrassingly disgraceful behavior all in the name of being "right" or "better than" whomever opposes a standpoint/belief/candidate. I have zero desire to watch the crapfest of people oozing their bitterness and spewing their vile hatred. 



This year, I have the desire to shut out all media coverage and simply pray for our future. 

Today, as ballots are turned in, as votes are cast, I will be praying for healing. Our nation has come to a place of such deep division. Relationships have been damaged. Friends have been distanced. Families have forgone the old adage that blood is thicker than water in favor of being "right". We need healing, and that begins with each one of us. 

I hope that everyone will set aside their political self-righteousness and extend the olive branch to one another and begin the long process of healing that our nation so deeply needs. 

Be safe. Be kind. Be bigger than this mess. 

Love each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment